Uga IX (9) Bulldog Mascot
Description: Uga IX (9) Bulldog Mascot Changing of the Collar Ceremony with Russ
Uga IX (9) Bulldog Mascot on the field during a football game.
Caption: One of the best known mascots in the country, a white English Bulldog named Uga has been roaming the University of Georgia sidelines since 1956, when owner Frank W. (Sonny) Seiler brought a bulldog to the first home game of the season. The current mascot, Uga IX (Russ), served as interim mascot before and after the reign of his predecessor, Uga VIII (Big Bad Bruce). Russ officially receiving the Uga collar and title in September 2012. He is the half brother of Uga VII (Loran's Best) and the first non all white Uga, sporting brown patches on his hindquarters, shoulder and ear. Uga bulldog mascots have witnessed some of the greatest moments in Bulldog history, including the 1980 National Championship, Herschel Walker's Heisman trophy presentation and a bowl-full of SEC Championships, as well as appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated and the silver screen in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.
Date of Photo: 9/15/2012
Credit: Andrew Davis Tucker, University of Georgia
Photographic Services File: 29248-117
The University of Georgia owns the rights to this image or has permission to redistribute this image. Permission to use this image is granted for internal UGA publications and promotions and for a one-time use for news purposes. Separate permission and payment of a fee is required to use any image for any other purpose, including but not limited to, commercial, advertising or illustrative purposes. Unauthorized use of any of these copyrighted photographs is unlawful and may subject the user to civil and criminal penalties. Possession of this image signifies agreement to all the terms described above.
The University of Georgia owns the rights to this image or has permission to redistribute this image